After reading several different examples of creative nonfiction, I have found one commonality between all; they are all truths to the different lives of people (a sort of memoir of experiences). Reading Lott's selection, "Toward a Definition of Creative Non-fiction", I was impressed by certain points he made. Creative Nonfiction being "our responsibility as human beings to answer fot and to our lives" left an impression on me because it regards creative nonfiction as a reflection on what the experiences in our life mean. Kind of like asking yourself the question, "How did this experience change or affect my life? and why is it memorable to me?"
The onteresting part is when you take these memories or experiences and put them in relation to other things. This causes you to dive deeper into the meanings of these experiences and bring out your own element of truth. "Your own truth" is what creative non fiction is to me. I liked the different forms of creative nonfiction that I read. I was most intrigued when it read out like a story. For example, Beard's "Out There" was told in an amazing way. It was like reading a story, but still having to figure out that this was a personal memoir of a time in her life. I also like the way Scrimgeour writes "Themes For English B", relating many things together like his breathing to his students and their circumstances in life.
In my piece (or memoir) I will try to write my truth out like a story but still having one unified focus of how teaching has taught me and how my own experiences with learning have affected these ideas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment