Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dyson Reading: Why is this not CNF?

After looking at Anne Haas Dyson reading, I found many differences in the way this pieces was to others I've read so far. This reading was indeed more "researchy", in the way that it did not fit the definitions I hold for creative nonfiction. As stated in the previous blog("What is CNF?") I believe Creative Nonfiction to be a personal reflection of one's experiences, and the relation of these experiences to other things. Most of all, it is a reflection of personal truth ("my truth").

Dyson's selection is not really told from a personal view, rather it uses an observational approach. She uses the experiences of the teacher and other children to make her points. She does not relate it to herself, she is the outsider. She also gives references as a way to better explain her points.Although she gives personal opinion, she does not give "personal truth", in the sense that she does not explain her opinions through use of her own personal experience.

She writes this piece as a way of trying to explain a concept more thoroughly to get a certain message across rather than using it to explain how this affected her in her own life and drawing examples from experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment